Things I do during Covid19 Lockdown/Circuit Breaker

by - June 01, 2020

Coronavirus aka Covid-19
It brings out the best and worst in humans.

That aside, while being in lockdown/Circuit Breaker mode, the thing I find that I have in excessive is; Time. With more time on hand, what do I do with it? I've been exercising more actually, and cooking & baking almost weekly for my family. I don't really crave for food outside, only the occasional random bubble tea craving, which gets put down quickly by Zach as he claims it's "unhealthy and fattening" :(
I've noticed most of my friends claim that they've gained a few kg during this period, but on the contrary I've lost a few kilos! Here's how my daily routine looks like since the lockdown began:

1. Wake up, drink a cup of water, clock 40 min of exercise (from my exercise planner/scheduler)
2. Drink a glass of freshly squeezed juice after (the juice menu varies daily, depending on the fruits I'm able to get from NTUC) Shout out to my fav grocery store, thanks for restocking many fruit varieties so I can have a good morning juicing routine!
3. Take an awesome long shower
4. Get in front of my computer and do some work
5. Bake/Cook for lunch or afternoon tea break (again, depending on the ingredients I have at home)
6. Film/edit my videos/photos if I've taken any during my kitchen raids
7. Stay glued to the computer until dinner time

I think I'm being more productive than usual! & I absolutely love taking some time to try out new recipes that I see online. Most of the time my baked/cooked goods turn out fairly well, with the occasional few times that it seemed rather gloomy and sad.... Thankfully I've got a wonderful, supportive family (and Zach, during non-CB days) who eats everything that I make (tasty or disgusting) and allows me to step into the kitchen time after time to experiment with more recipes!


I'm super happy with my latest baked goods, which is a "Not So Pretty Sponge Cake" in reality but I decided to give it a cool name "Double Chocolate Toblerone Sponge Cake". How does it look in the picture? I love how porous the cake turned out (despite the ugly crackled edges) and the addition of toblerone bits was the BEST DECISION EVER. I invented this btw. Well technically with the help of a basic sponge cake recipe, I tweaked the ingredients and added few things of my own. I'm a chocoholic (if there's such a word), I once polished an entire chocolate fondue (for 2 pax) at Max Brenner on my own and I swore never to eat chocolate again. That was a lie, I had chocolates the very next day. So you get the gist. Enough of the chitchat, for those who're salivating after seeing the awesome cake photo, i'm here to share my recipe! Scroll down and please spend 5 min of your precious time to appreciate the video I painstakingly took & edited while baking. No easy feat.


"Thumbs up to like the video and share it so this video can reach more people!" - standard Youtube end-of-video line.

Recipe for this awesome-possum cake! Besides the standard egg, flour, sugar, butter ingredients, you will need these babies below! Yes, a toblerone cake does require toblerones, and I've used both Dark & milk toblerone for this recipe
INGREDIENTS: 
- 165g unsalted butter
- 210g dark chocolate chips/chocolate block
- 30g cocoa powder
- 60g plain flour
- 3g baking powder
- 150g sugar
- 6 eggs
- chopped toblerone & choc chips to top off (own desired amount)

STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven at 180 degrees
2. Melt choc chips + butter over boiling water, stir until you achieve smooth creamy consistency
3. Whisk eggs + sugar until the mixture has risen to 3x volume (doesn't require for stiff peaks)
4. Sieve dry ingredients together (plain flour, cocoa, baking powder)
5. Pour melted chocolate (half, half) into egg mixture and fold lightly to combine
6. Fold in dry ingredients (in 3 parts), combine everything well
*Be sure not to beat all the air out of the egg mixture while folding!
7. Add toblerone bits into mixture
8. Pour into baking pan to 80% full, sprinkle choc chips on top & gently tap twice before putting into oven
9. Bake at 180 degrees for 35min
10. Remove from oven, move to cooling rack to chill for 10min before removing cake from baking pan
Trim off any excess sides/top if it's not pretty, or just eat it as it is!  ENJOY! 

That's it folks. Stay safe & stay indoors! Till the next time!


xoxo,
Chye

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram