Weekend Bakes // Valentine's Day

by - February 15, 2015


Happy Valentine's Day (belated)to all you lovers out there! 


How was your vday celebration? My valentine's day was a quiet affair at home with my folks, and my kitchen! I never seem to celebrate vday,because it is so overpriced! I prefer a sentimental, chilled out, laid back celebration; something along the line of cooking at home or going for a self-packed picnic. Hand-made romance at its best.
Perhaps, for the future :)

Yesterday, I attempted to bake rainbow cookies, but to my dismay, my food colourings didn't quite turn out the way i expected it to be. As you can see, i'm missing blue and yellow, and i've got double of orange and purple. Hahahaa!


I've got to say, making these different coloured layered cookies is indeed a feat!!! I found the recipe on this website Icedjems. Let me share the recipe with all of you

Ingredients:
  • 200g Butter or Margarine
  • 200g Caster Sugar
  • 1 Medium Egg
  • 400g Plain Flour
  • 2 Tsp Vanilla Essence (or flavouring of your choice)
  • Food Paste Colours; Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red
First, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence. 
Second, add in the egg and mix
Third, fold in the flour and knead the dough with your hands
Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and start the colouring process!
After colouring your dough, let them to chill in the fridge for approx 40min for the colour to develop further. Then, here comes the tedious part....


The layering of colours. I cut my first piece of Purple into a long rectangle shape, and used that as a base for the remaining 5 pieces. Initially, I rolled out the next dough colour into a rough rectangle shape, placed the ready Purple on it and cut the shape accordingly. But i found that to be too tedious if i were to repeat it for 5 times. So i had an idea of stacking all the roughly rolled out rectangle shaped dough onto each other, then turned it over (so the clean cut rectangle piece is at the top)and i sawed all the pieces through. Ta-dahhhh! 


After successfully stacking the pieces neatly, I then sliced the dough up evenly to get my cookie size. Sawing is definitely easier than just cutting it straight through (you might squash the layers too much).


Prep your oven at 180 degrees beforehand and you're ready to pop them into the oven to bake!


I am using an oven toaster (not a full fledged oven), so I baked my cookies for approx 15-20 min till they're semi hard when I poked it through. 


There you go! My-not-so-rainbow cookies. 

Though it was tedious, it was enjoyable at least. I guess baking makes me happy! Looking to expand my baking equipments and trying new recipes soon! :)


******************************************

On a side note, I've been looking out for a camera to get. Among my list of considered cameras are: Samsung Nx Mini, Samsung NX 3000, Canon G7x and Fujifilm x-a2

Samsung Nx Mini is superb for taking selfies, but its sensors are not as good as Canon's when it comes to taking landscapes or scenery shots. But the selfies are so tempting! 
Samsung NX 3000 is slightly heavy as it comes with interchangeable lens, but not something that i'm looking for as i own 2 DSLR of my own *gasp*
Fujifilm X-a2 is kind of heavy too, and not as aesthetically appeasing

So, it boils down to Canon G7x. I've done some research on it, went down to Harvey Norman and Courts to have a look at the camera. I must say, the more i see it, the more i am in love with it. The sensors are superb, zoom range is much better than the ones listed above, and it takes really nice photos. I've received advice from friends who know that I am on a lookout for this camera, and the feedback has been quite positive so far. 


what do you guys think? To get or not to get?


Let me know of your thoughts!

To all those single ladies/men out there like myself; don't fret if you've no date, feeling all zealous during this lovey-dovey season. I am sure someone out there is looking out for you. Your time will come eventually and you'll have the time of your life.

Live Life, Be Happy!

Cheers to a happy Sunday everyone! 




xoxo,
Chye

You May Also Like

0 comments

Instagram